The lavera World
Thomas Haase: Organic and natural cosmetics for everyone everywhere
Defying all his critics, Thomas Haase started developing effective cosmetics with a 100% natural basis, founding the company Laverana and the brand lavera on November 23, 1987. The company name Laverana already reveals that the brand and company are inextricably connected, as “lavera” stands for “true” and “na” for “natural cosmetics”. In a time when everything revolved around chemicals, Thomas Haase discovered his lifelong dream and dedicated his life to a vision of “organic and natural beauty care for all”. Since 1988, he has been developing the natural personal care market and leading Laverana as its founder and executive partner. The driving force behind Laverana since its foundation remains its goals of democratization, differentiation, and internationalization. Mr. Haase isn’t interested in only being a short chapter in a book: he wants to make history, as well as a lasting impact on the world of personal care products.
· 1987 // Company founded in Rethen near Hanover
· 1989 // Exhibitor at BioFach since 1989 – since the very beginning
· 1992 // Reconstruction of the buildings following fire damage
· 1994 // Development of the export business
· 1996 // Move to Wennigsen
· 2004 // 'lavera. natural. effective. beautiful.' New brand identity with the lavera family
· 2005 // New field warehouse in Empelde opens in January 2005
· 2007 // Managing director Thomas Haase is named Entrepreneur of the Year in the Hanover region
· 2008 // Launch of advanced advertising campaigns for lavera
· 2009 // lavera office opens in France
· 2010 to 2012 // Introduction of SAP and supply chain management
· 2013 // lavera receives the Green Brand award for the first time
· 2013 // From 19 August, lavera Naturkosmetik is the first manufacturer of natural cosmetics to advertise on TV in the media mix
· 2014 // All departments (except for R&D) move from Wennigsen to Ronnenberg. lavera Naturkosmetik is available in approximately 40 countries worldwide
· 2015 // For the second time in a row, lavera receives the Green Brand award
· 2015 // Since June 1992, lavera Naturkosmetik has been awarded the top ratings 'excellent' or 'good' over 740 times
· 2015 // According to the GFK market research institute, lavera Naturkosmetik was ranked 33rd out of 2,000 brands in Germany
· 2016 // In January, Laverana is tested by TÜV Rheinland and is now certified according to ZNU (Centre for Sustainable Leadership) Sustainable Economy
· 2016 // Launch of the new advertising campaign in the home market with Yvonne Catterfeld as lavera brand ambassador
Founder and Managing Director of Laverana GmbH & Co. KG
Since 1987, I've been developing natural care products that help everyone to feel comfortable in their skin. To me, nature is the only true way to beauty care. This idea has lived on and continues to develop, and is called lavera. For my natural beauty care, the wishes of our customers ought to always be the focus of research and development right from the start. Product quality is our highest priority. And that's why we have produced everything in-house in the Hanover region since the company's founding. From the very beginning, our goal has been natural cosmetics of the highest quality. We produce over 300 organic ingredients and more than 300 natural active substances ourselves. Our customers are my source of inspiration and orientation and customer requirements are the focus of research and development – for me and for the company.
What is your vision?
I had skin problems in my youth – and as it later turned out, it was a case of atopic dermatitis. I searched for natural care alternatives instead of the cortisone creams, and I researched the effects of natural ingredients in old pharmaceutical documents.
My first product was a lip balm for a holiday in Denmark in 1975, which can still be found in our product range today.
My scientific curiosity was piqued. For my natural beauty care products, the wishes of our customers were always to be the focus of research and development from the very start. Product quality has always been imperative, and so we have produced everything in-house in the Hanover region since the founding of the company in order to guarantee our customers the highest product quality.
Where does the name lavera come from?
I derived the name from the Latin word 'verum' – 'the truth'. For me, lavera stands for true, natural beauty care – pure nature – my concept for beautiful skin.
Do you have any hobbies outside of work?
A few years ago, I obtained my pilot's licence and when the weather's nice, I enjoy relaxing in the skies.
What are your three favourite products?
I like many products and I'm still heavily involved in development today. I'm especially fond of the products that started everything – the basis sensitiv lip balm and the body wash – and the Men sensitiv shaving foam, which we were able to launch in March 2013 after a long period of developing the product.
THE COMPANY IN BRIEF
The company Laverana can be described in just a few words: made in Germany, in the Hanover region, certified natural cosmetics are produced in a closed value-added competence chain. Production is carried out preserving natural resources, with respect for human beings and nature.
This is combined with the highest quality standards for natural ingredients, packaging, product landscapes and production processes, as well as a profound sense of responsibility – above all towards the customer.
· Founded in 1987, manufacturer of certified natural cosmetics
· Headquartered in the Hanover region, in Wennigsen and Ronnenberg
· Founder and executive Partner Thomas Haase
· Laverana is constantly on the lookout for new employees and, in recent years especially, has had a successful recruitment record, boosted by the company's positive development. Laverana offers many career opportunities and a range of different training programmes
THE NATURAL COSMETICS MARKET
Natural cosmetics have advanced from being a niche product and have established themselves as a consistent market driver, experiencing disproportionate dynamic growth. In Germany in 2014, revenues of over 1 billion euros were achieved for the first time. By the third quarter of 2015, natural cosmetics experienced around 9.7% year-on-year growth over the previous year, achieving an overall market share of 8.7%. The positive sales trend can be seen across all categories – facial care remains the fastest-growing segment in natural cosmetics.